Sunday, March 15, 2009

Hello, world.


This is a blog about the city that I live in, Washington D.C. This is also the city that I both love and hate. J.F.K. once said, "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." The second half of the quotation encapsulates what I dislike about the city.

Here is a simple list of some specific dislikes:

1. Good customer service is practically nonexistent. Try dealing with Al, an employee at the Woodley Park CVS (yes, you know Al- frizzy gray hair and always yelling at customers to form a line).

2. City runners who scare you half to death while trying to pass you on the sidewalk. Who knew that runners trump walkers on a city's sideWALKs? They run in the rain. They run at night. They run in the snow.

3. Lawyers. The DC capital region is home to the highest per capita population of attorneys in the United States. One out of every six people here is an attorney. That means one out of every six people you meet in DC is obnoxious, arrogant, and insufferable.

But it's not all bad!

Here are some great aspects of life in DC:

1. The public transportation system is superb! As a resident of NW DC, I almost never need a car, and when I do, I just rent one by the hour from Zipcar (try it, you'll love it!).

2. The city's orthogonal design.

3. The city's 127 neighborhoods - each with a different character and charm (or lack thereof...). My personal favorites are Mt. Pleasant, Cleveland Park, and Logan Circle.

So as I go about exploring the city that I now call home, I'll be posting stories and photos from my adventures. Enjoy!

Until next time,

The Sassy Hen

1 comment:

swangsta said...

"orthogonal"- spoken like a true city planner! What a great first post! And I definitely agree with you about every pro and con about D.C.- except I think that the employees at the Glover Park CVS just might be a little more unhinged than the ones in Woodley Park ;)